Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, December 17, 2012

Finding Freedom

"Our value, our sense of enough, will never, ever be granted by the world. Our wealth is in being part of something larger, the family of the earth, the body of Christ, the sangha of the Buddha, the mosque, temple, ashram, or community of service. What we bring is our own uniquely precious, yet ultimately very small gift, to a very large table....Play with the freedom of being ordinary, nobody special. Remind yourself: The world isn't waiting for me to do, fix, heal, or proclaim anything. The pressure is off. Nobody is watching me. Why should they? I am just an ordinary human being, a child of the earth, like everyone else. I am perfectly good enough, just the way I am."   
                                                               Wayne Muller


I am always tempted
to find ways to feel special
I am always tempted to think
I must do something, say something, be something
that will make people like me
I often want people to make me feel special

and that can have its unhealthy side
It is this sense that I must
fix, heal, proclaim
that too often drives me
It is this need to be liked
appreciated
valued 
that shape the way I am in this world

Jesus after his baptism, went an hid in the desert
Satan tempted him by asking him
to make himself noticeable
Jesus refused

The heroes in the  New Testament are often the humble
the outcast
the insiginificant

Peter was at his worst when he was trying hard
to be the best

Lord teach me this day
simply to be a child of the earth
help me to understand that it is when
I am quietly
authentically
just present at the table

that it is when I am just present
gently caring
that I am the greatest power for good
and am enough      
     

No comments:

Post a Comment