Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, December 16, 2012

Seriously people!

I made the mistake this morning
of reading the news on the internet
I made the bigger mistake of reading the comments
posted after the articles

I am sorry I did that
the comments are painful
for their twisted logic
their hate
their bias

my whole being was assaulted 
by the name calling
the brutality
the excess of emotion present

for a few moments I wrote some responses
trying to insert fact
trying to moderate the insanity

but then I realized
that this is a sickness I cannot cure
I am not sure any of us can

we are looking 
at the face of fear

fear of "them"

that "they" will break into my house and attack me (so I need guns)
that the nasty government will become a dictatorship (so I need guns) 
actually fear of almost everything
including vaccinations
(how that got into a discussion about Sandy Hook is a long story)

Even fear of God was present, with the "turn or burn" (law not grace) crowd making a strong showing  (I read an argument that the teacher who died protecting the children might not have been a Christian, so was in hell, yes, really)

ultimately the fear leads to hate
and the hate?
We see that all too clearly

So much of what makes our society sick
and dangerous
and deadly
emerges out of fear

I can only imagine the fears that assailed the mother 
who stockpiled guns
and, apparently, taught her son to use them

In the Word we are told 
that "perfect love casts out all fear"

The love that was in Victoria
as she protected her students
The love that say
violence stops here
The love of God that says, "come to me... and rest"

We don't love very well
usually
We really do need the love of god in us
to get to that place where we love others
and can move away from fear
and fear based behaviors

So for my part, I am not going to buy a new gun
I am going to let the spark of the sacred God placed in me
connect me to God
and I am going to nurture that connection
and seek to learn how to love
more deeply
more selflessly
more powerfully

and that is how I am going to combat evil

will love protect me if someone comes after me with a gun?
No
But I can live with that
And die with that

No comments:

Post a Comment