Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, December 7, 2012

The Gaze of God

I ran across this passage from Richard Rohr in my reading this morning
I always mark my books
I underline, and once in a while will write a comment in the margins....

This morning my comment was simply, "Wow!"

Rohr was talking about "I-Thou" relationships
and suggesting that if we have an "I-Thou" relationship
one in which we are both present
and both who we really are
with God

That God becomes our mirror
For, Rohr suggests, we see ourselves most clearly
when we see ourselves reflected in the people with whom we are intimate

Then Rohr makes this comment
 
"Like any true mirror, the gaze of God receives us exactly as we are, without judgement or distortion,
subtraction or addition.  Such perfect receiving is what transforms us.  Being totally received
as we truly are is what we wait and long for all our lives.  All we can do is receive and return the
loving gaze of God......"

For some reason this strikes a deep chord in my soul
the idea that God receives me, totally
all of me
the parts I like
the parts I don't

God receives me all
and loves me anyway

I have gone through life feeling
believing
that if people knew who I really was...
if they knew what hung about
in the dark corners of my being
that they would look on me with disgusts
or at the very least disappointment
and not receive me

But the mirror that is God 
reflects me back
all of me, even those dark corners

God reflects me back truly
But that "me" is still loved
accepted
forgiven
empowered...

As Rob Bells suggests,
God loves us, and there is nothing we can do about that!
And that changes everything

No comments:

Post a Comment