Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, April 5, 2014

Lent 28 - Many blind people

“Seeing is not believing - it is only seeing.”
― George MacDonald
____________________________________________________


they say seeing is believing
but do we see?
really?

ah those glasses that slip down my nose
first one lens
then bifocals
now trifocals

those lenses put everything
everything
into focus
or
not

ah those lenses
that twist and distort
those lenses
that are my values, my beliefs
that are my “self talk”

do I see?
or do I see what I want to see?

do I see what is
or a world of my own making?

I think there are many blind people
who see a world that does not exist
who see a god that is not God

I think there are many blind people
who do not see the poor
or the vulnerable
but more importantly do not see
themselves

do not see their greed
their fear

there are people who see failure where there is success
and success where there is failure
righteousness where this is hate and evil
and evil where there is goodness

ah
but I too am afflicted

forgive me Lord for my blindness
let me not be blind
let me not be a blind person leading the blind

give me eyes
eyes
that
see

No comments:

Post a Comment