Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, January 2, 2018

too old to know everything

“I'm too old to know everything”
― Oscar Wilde
___________________________

I used to be wise
I used to know everything
And look down in wonder at those foolish people
Stumbling alone in the dark

But brilliance fades it seems
And the more I know, the less I know
And sureness becomes uncertainty
Arrogance, humility

I am no longer the brilliant, articulate
Rising star
Who could fill a church,
Or make anything happen

I am instead just another fool
Bumbling around
Trying to find my way to some exit

But there are a few things I do know
That I did not know
Or perhaps, more honestly, simply ignored

I know that every person has value
I know that every person has something to teach me
I know that I am horribly flawed, and terrifyingly wonderful, at the same time

I know that greed wins, short term,
But loses in the end
I know that hating and excluding
Makes one less safe, not more safe

I know (my mother taught me this)
That in the end, liars never prosper
They may get rich, they may win, they may even become President
But they lose so much of their humanity
And are much to be pitied. 
It takes so much work to live a lie

I know that generosity brings more joy that a large bank account
And that one who listens is more impressive than one who talks

I know that God is love

The rest?
The rest is up for grabs
I’m too old to know everything



No comments:

Post a Comment