Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, July 15, 2019

Here i am


It's all about me
It's all about me
Oh yeah, me, myself and I
It's all about me
It's all about me (You know it's all about me)
It's all about me me me me me
Everybody knows that it's all about me
Chelsea Staub

“We keep on being told that religion, whatever its imperfections, at least instills morality. On every side, there is conclusive evidence that the contrary is the case and that faith causes people to be more mean, more selfish, and perhaps above all, more stupid.”
 Christopher Hitchens
___________________________________________________

Power, Love
Dominion, Service
Blessing, Curse

Self Centered, Other Centered

I have been obsessed with dichotomies lately

And as I have watched the Evangelical church in America
And read religious meme after religious meme
And listened to the patter of talking points
That emerge thoughtlessly from the mouths of so many Christians

I have become convince that for many of us
Faith is all about self
My self
Me, myself, and I

When people talk about faith
We hear about being saved, rescued from the clutches of a retributive God
We hear about how wonderful it is when a person dies “in the faith”
Because they will “go to heaven”
And how sad it is when a person did not “know the Lord’
Because they will be in torment for all eternity

Faith is fire insurance
It is that simple
Turn or Burn

When I read the memes it is all about how
As a person of faith
God is on “my side”
Blessing me.  Giving me goodies
Making my life rich and wonderful
(all, perhaps, because I have somehow earned it by joining the club)

But I know if I’m honest it doesn’t work like that
Read Job, or the Psalms
Read the words of Jesus, who insists that the rain falls on the just and the unjust

I am surrounded by self centered faith
Where I am part of the inner circle
I am blessed
I am rescued
I am better
I am righteous

And perhaps there are elements of truth in all of that
Perhaps

But it seems to me that something is missing
What is missing is God
What is missing is service
What is missing is the radical demands of the Gospel
Which call us to divest rather than invest
Give rather than accumulate
Love rather than hate
Be vulnerable rather than defensive
Humble rather than arrogant
Servants rather than rulers

If my faith centers around me
I think I have missed the point

I think faith should center on God
On loving God
Connecting to God
Being loved by God
Being transformed by God
Or at least “re-created’ in to what I was designed to be

Faith should center on responding to the divine presence with in me

And that should move my focus
Outside my self
To others

Particularly to those other
Who are most vulnerable

My faith should not make me smug
Or arrogant
Or entitled and privileged

It should not give me permission to control
Or coerce

It should make me giving
And forgiving
Compassionate
Humble

It should make me a servant

I always think of Jesus who
but emptied himself,     taking the form of a slave, (Phil. 2:7)

What a contrast to Joel Osteen, and Kenneth Copeland
It is scary different

Here is my challenge to myself
To pay attention to how often
I invoke faith, on my own behalf
How often I talk about faith in terms of what God is doing
(or in terms of what I hope God will do)
For me
Me, me, me

And then to seek
To simply turn to God
And say, as so many saints and sinners have said in the past

Here I am

“I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things
to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.” (Weslyan  Covenant Prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment