Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, July 16, 2019

I don't want to care, but I do


If there’s a way forward, it isn’t in knowing less—and so I’ll keep reading and learning, and dealing with how much turmoil that creates within me. The challenging part, will be convincing those blissfully unaware right now, to allow real life to inconvenience them enough to care too; to let true information disrupt their carefully curated happiness.

Knowledge may indeed be a pain in the rear end—but it is still one of the most powerful weapons we have in the fight to stay human in inhumane times.

I don’t want to know how bad it is anymore, but I do.
I don’t want to grieve the horrible reality anymore, but I do.
I don’t want to care anymore, but I do.
                                                                        John Pavlovitz
_________________________________________________________________

There are times I just want to close my eyes
But like those ghoulish spectators on the edge of a tragedy
I am drawn
Moth like
Into the fire

And sometimes I get singed
The lies are overwhelming
The hate palpable
The greed depressing

But mostly it is the selfishness
The lack of insight
The privilege
That batter my soul

Not just from those who perpetrate evil
From high places
But from those who
Because it feels safe
Because it feeds their own worst persons
Because they think they will gain

Thoughtlessly affirm and applaud.
And I don’t like seeing that collusion
Oozing from people I live with, work with, even worship with

And so the news feed
And the responses to it

Sear my very being
I am discomforted

And I am  even more disturbed when the words of one whose life
shapes (I hope) my life
reveal our spiritual paucity

when those words condemn our attitudes
our words
our behaviors

and I do not know how to respond
without becoming a part of the mess

I want to “post” the truth as I see it
And I do
Then I delete
And repost
And delete
Because ??

Because I do not want to become what I resist
Hateful and angry, a person who name calls and diminishes
Because I do not believe that those who have chosen to believe lies will listen
Because I do not believe my words will make any difference
At all

It would be easier
Much easier
Not to read the news
Not to comment
Not to try and bring the way of Love into the mix

It would be easy to just “let it go”
As so many often advise
To “get over it”

But I can’t

And so I walk
And so I write
And so I challenge, hoping I am not part of the problem
And so I share what I believe to be the truth, hoping I am at least close

So I risk sounding like a fool
Being seen as a fool
So I risk being disliked, and rejected
So I risk people avoiding my little congregation

“I don’t want to know how bad it is anymore, but I do.
I don’t want to grieve the horrible reality anymore, but I do.
I don’t want to care anymore, but I do.”  (John Pavlovitz)

And so I stand
And speak
And pray
And hope

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading your posts for a while and I love what you write and how you express you thoughts and feelings. Thank you so much for your writings.

    ReplyDelete