Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, July 22, 2019

Still I Rise


Out of the huts of history's shame
I rise
Up from a past that's rooted in pain
I rise
I'm a black ocean, leaping and wide,
Welling and swelling I bear in the tide.
Leaving behind nights of terror and fear
I rise
Into a daybreak that's wondrously clear
I rise
Bringing the gifts that my ancestors gave,
I am the dream and the hope of the slave.
I rise
I rise
I rise.”
Maya Angelou
____________________________________________

I am a white guy in America
I am identified with the majority religion
I was raised in relative affluence
I have had all the advantages

Perhaps I have not made the most of my advantages
Definitely I have made my mistakes
Clearly there are people who loathe me, for good reason
Obviously there are people who love me, for good reason

But I will never know
The oppression experienced by a person of color
The devaluation of a Native American
The pain of a person born LGBTQI, and thus rejected by faith and family
The despair of a person born in poverty
The minimization and marginalization experienced by women

I have little or no way to connect with all of this
I have been poor, but not in poverty
I have lost jobs, but have had the advantages to find others

There is much I do not know
But I do believe on thing
I believe in resilience

I believe that each of us has some capacity
To rise

To find within us the resilience to keep putting
One foot in front of the other
Left foot, right foot, left foot, breathe!

I believe that this capacity is inherent
I believe it is Sacred

I have no illusions that the path out poverty
Or addiction
Or pain
Or failure
Is easy

And I understand that it is harder for some, than for others
Not because of who they are
But because of systematic oppression
Because of injustice and inequity

But I do believe
That we carry within us the capacity to rise
I believe, that if we tap into that “something” within us that is Sacred
That is Love
That is Hope
That is Generosity

We can experience resurrection
We can be lifted up

Sometimes it takes a lot of help from Sacred
Sometimes it takes help from other people
Sometimes the progress is halting and sporadic
Sometimes one is knocked back down
By hate and racism, by being devalued and judged

I know that I can rise out of my petty issues
And petty failures
Out of my shallow afflictions

I also believe, or perhaps I hope
That the one in front of me, born into a world of trauma
Born into a house of addiction
Born into a race or creed marginalized and oppressed by our culture

That one living in poverty
Living with mental illness
That one carrying the sins and miseries of the world
That one shaped by tragedy and oppression

Can also rise

I also believe that inside each of us there is a presence
A light
A flame

I do not know
Always, how to tap into Sacred Presence
And find my way up
I do not know always
How to support others, as they too, seek to rise

But I do know we can rise
That this is the “job” of life
To find our way up
To find our way back to our original blessing

And to help others along the way

Call it what you will
Resilience
Resurrection
Recovery

It’s a thing
It’s real
It’s work
It’s our job

So today is another day
What am I going to do today, to find my way to higher ground?
What am I going to do today to help another to higher ground?

Perhaps they are the same thing


No comments:

Post a Comment