Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, September 19, 2019

Let yourself fall ill


“If you desire healing,
let yourself fall ill
let yourself fall ill.”
                               Rumi
_______________________________

I don’t know about you,
but I have had moments I regret

there have been times in my life
when all has not been well

And yet, Julian of Norwich had it right
 ‘It was necessary that there should be sin; but all shall be well,
  and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.'

there are times when my days of dysfunction
come back an haunt me

something will cue me, will dreg up a memory
a mental video tape
that strikes my soul opening old wounds

someone from my past will show up
someone who experienced me in one of those moments
when my soul was in chaos
and I was a danger to myself and others

it is like spiritual PTSD at times
and I am forced to ask whether I really believe in grace
for myself, for others (for if I can’t access grace for myself,
I probably can’t access it for others as well)

And I realize that even though I believe in
And have experienced, the transformative power of God
I have to believe it for myself
And I have to believe it for others, all others

I have to believe that no one, not even me
can “drift beyond the redemptive hand of God” (W. Wink)

It is difficult at times to become “a new creation”
Especially when we, or others, are not able to let ourselves be new
For in the end, our newness is only limited by our own ability
To accept that we can be (and hopefully are) new

Someone asked me recently, someone who knew me in different times
Who I am “now” (versus who I was then)

My quick response was “older and wiser”
But upon reflection I think what is different now from then
Is that then I lived from the outside in
And now I live (at least most of the time) from the inside out

Then I got my value from external things
From titles and positions, from the respect and adoration of others
I sought to suck value and happiness into myself from what I did
From the people I was in relationship with

That is dysfunction

Now, it is more true than not
That I find my value from that journey inward
To the center of who I am
To that place where the Sacred lives and moves

It that connection with the Sacred
And a subsequent connection with my own self
That “Child of God” self
That gives me joy, and peace
That quiets the need power, or money, success, or adoration

It is when I am living from that place
From my core
That I can then move out into the world
That I can work, and relate
Functioning from a place of fullness rather than emptiness

And that makes all the difference
In the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment