Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, September 1, 2019

God can

“God's grace is not defined as God being forgiving to us even though we sin. Grace is when God is a source of wholeness, which makes up for my failings. My failings hurt me and others and even the planet, and God's grace to me is that my brokenness is not the final word ... it's that God makes beautiful things out of even my own shit
                      Nadia Bolz-Weber, Pastrix: The Cranky, Beautiful Faith of a Sinner & Saint
_______________________________

Whatever became of grace?

I am not talking so much about my sense of God’s grace for me
That is a powerful and personal experience

When the Sacred in me
Rocks and Rolls
And opens me up to newness

To joy, and hope
To compassion and generosity
To love

When the sacred in me fills me
And moves me beyond my self

Giving me the capacity to move beyond
Those wounds I have accumulated
And picked at for years,

And brings me to a place more whole
Not completely whole, alas
For still I squat, at times in my own shit

But still
More secure in God’s love
Safer
More complete

Yes, I know Grace

But what has happened to our ability
Include others in grace

I know we try
I know we believe, if we have really listened to Jesus
That the grace of God is broader than we can ever image

But there are moments
At least for me, when I struggle
To grab hold of the reality that Grace
Can make up for the failings of those I believe are systematically
Persistently
Profoundly
Hurting others and even the planet.

Is my God big enough to
Make up for their failings?

Am I willing to let them join me,
As I frolic in the fountain of Grace?

It is in God’s nature to make us whole
The fact is, Grace is for everyone

Will every one accept Grace?
Will every one give the Sacred a big enough place
That they are made new?

Perhaps not

But that is not something I am asked to determine
Or even judge

All I am asked to do is claim grace for myself
And believe
With all my heart

That a person’s brokenness is never the final word ...
And that God can make beautiful things out anyone’s shit
 f

No comments:

Post a Comment