Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, February 29, 2020

Enjoying God


"Your image of God creates you. You become the God you worship. If your God is an eternal torturer, then torture is validated. If God is presented in the image of a king, then we’ll all want to be kings. If God is Trinity—love and relationality—that creates a very different kind of humanity. It leads us to a different worldview, sociology, politics, and sense of belonging and purpose."
                                                              -- Richard Rohr
_______________________________

When I was a child
I learned the catechism

I was always struck by the first question
“What is the chief end of man (and woman)

The answer was also profound.
To Glorify God and Enjoy God forever

I have spent a lifetime trying to figure out what that means
And honestly, I can only come up with one answer to works

If I want to glorify God,
And if I want to “enjoy” God

If I want to ‘enjoy’ God I have to connect with God
I have to become as “united” with God
As I possibly can
(not an easy task for someone steeped in the culture of individualism, and merit)

And if I want to glorify God
I have to let my love relationship with God
My experience of God
Transform me

The way love always transforms us

And thus transform the way I am
And how I live

And how I treat the earth
And every creature who dwells upon this earth
What this means
Is that God is about “we” (all)
And not about “me”

I all comes down that what God is like,
This one whom I am called to love.
This one I must welcome, and allow to love me.

There are many images for God
Many of those images
Because God is by definition “big” and transcendent

Are images of power
God as King
God as Father (in a patriarchal society)
God as Judge

And it does not take much to move us from power
To fear
For we know what we do with power

We use it
And all too often we use it in way
That are self-focused
And protective
And controlling
And retributive

And so it is easy to see God
That way

But God gets us!
God understands how we work
And thus
Jesus

Who came to reveal what God is really like

So much for our controlling, protective, power wielding retributive God

Instead we have one who emptied himself
Who loved
Who healed
Who taught compassion and generosity
Who warned against the love of power and greed

And we have one who rather
That use his power in a vengeful, retributive way
Went to the cross

And while mocked by his murders
Said “Father forgive them”

God is love
God is a lover
God is, Creator, Savior, Empowerer
A dynamic love relationship with whom I am called to have
A relationship
A dynamic love relationship
I must experience

Not as something up there out there
But as something inside me
As close as my breath

And that God of love must shape me
Instead of me, falsely, shaping God

It when I am shaped by God
That I become new
It when I am shaped by God
That I gain the capacity to do life differently
To live a life of welcome, compassion, generosity and kindess

It is when I am shaped by God
That I “enjoy God and glorify God
Forever”

No comments:

Post a Comment