Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, February 17, 2020

short-hand religion



“It’s short-hand religion without a deeper theology,” he said. “If you don’t have a theology of empathy, there is no Jesus there. Even if you look at someone who is gay [greedy, dishonest, hateful, racist] and you believe that’s not what God wants for people, Jesus encountered people throughout his ministry that would be doing things God wouldn’t want for them. And he always leaves them with more dignity than he found them.”
                                                              John Pavlovitz
__________________________________________

Why bother with faith?
Why bother, to put it more bluntly
With religion

I mean really, what a pain
You’ve got to give up part of a weekend
To go listen to some dude or dudette talk
And talk
And talk

you’ve got to give up not just time
but money
and perhaps
if your faith system has really got religion

things like
depending on your brand

pot
coffee and coke
alcohol
swearing (I mean WTF?)

and you’ve got to behave
or not

but seriously

what is it that moves a think adult
to embrace a religion

a lot of thinking adults aren’t, anymore

and so we have the “none”

As in I’ll have none of that!

But for those that remain….
Why?

Honestly it seems that for many it is a matter of….
Wait for it…..
Transaction

I participate in this faith thing
And I get blessed
I get prosperous
I get happy
I get saved
From eternal torment

Its turn or burn!

I ran across a song the other day
That might well be the national anthem
Of much of American Christianity

'll be so happy (Lord I'll be)
I'll be so happy (yes I will)
I'll be so happy (when I see his precious face)
I'll be so happy (When I see Jesus inside of me)
I'll be so happy (All my heartaches, they will be over)
I'll be so happy (All my sorrows, they'll be over)
I'll be so happy
(All my tears and my pains, it will be over, yes it will
Oh I won't have to bear noo, won't have to bear no more burdens
I'll be so happy
They'll be nothing but joy and peace over there
Every day will be Sunday
So Happy, Jesus and Me

Jesus and me
We are like “this”
And all is well with the world

Except
I wonder

Is that really what it’s all about?

As I think about my choice
To engage with a God who is love

There are of course “Jesus and me” moments
Yeah
Oh yeah

I want to be in communion with the Sacred
Drawn into a swirling vortex of Love
Forgiven
Healed
Empowered

I want to be filled to overflowing
With Sacred Presence

But there is the critical point
Filled with sacred presence not just
So that I can “be so happy”

But so full of God’s love
That I leak love
So full that it oozes out of me
And transforms

The way I see
The way I treat
Other people

All other people

Not just the easy people
The beautiful people
Rich people
Smart people
Kind people
Clever people

But all people
All meaning all

Even that dirty and drained soul lying on a park bench
Even that greedy and shriveled soul sitting in chairs of gold

My religion (I prefer spirituality)
Should be about how I interact with those people
Who I encounter
Each day

And I should be about one thing
One
Thing

Building a bridge between myself and the other
So that the Sacred can cross over
And do for that person
As much or more as the Sacred has done for me

What I want from my “religion”
Is to become human
To be drawn out of my subhuman
Selfishness and greed
Out of my need for power
And my need to put others down

Into the fullness of my humanity
Into my divine heritage
Into the image

So that I can work with God
To help others
Find themselves
Their true selves
That precious, amazing self
That reflects the very nature of the Sacred

What I want my religion to do
Is to make me a person
Who leaves other people
With more love
More hope
More joy
More peace

With more humanity
With more dignity
Than when I first met them

And that
Is why
I bother

No comments:

Post a Comment