Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, February 3, 2020

the price of love


“The pain of grief is just as much part of life as the joy of love: it is perhaps the price we pay for love, the cost of commitment. To ignore this fact, or to pretend that it is not so, is to put on emotional blinkers which leave us unprepared for the losses that will inevitably occur in our own lives and unprepared to bereavement little help others cope with losses in theirs.
                                                   Colin Murray Parkes
_____________________________________

It seems as if every day my heart breaks

This is the price I pay for love
Not romantic love

But that deep earthy love
that comes from the Sacred
for all things Sacred

and everything is Sacred

the earth is sacred
the mountains, and streams, and oceans
all of it

the sky is sacred
as it flashes neon orange in the morning
and stretches blue during the day
only to die flaming

Animals too
All creatures great and small
Are fashioned by divine design

And humans
Ah yes
Those beings created in the image
Carriers of divine love

Those in whom the sacred dwells
Those who have so badly blurred the divine image

And my heart breaks
As I watch people who seem
Somehow
To have lost their hearts
(and their minds too)

Do things that so assail
Everything good, and bright, and beautiful
And sacred

It hurts my heart to see
The comfortable, the powerful, the rich
The hard, the cruel, the empty, the angry,
Make decisions that hurt the planet
And hurt people

It hurts my heart to see justice perverted
To see equity vanish
To see the rule of law ignored
To see our freedoms destroyed

It hurts my heart to hear our leaders lie
To see people who are supposed to provide justice subvert justice
To see the rich enriched
And the poor abandoned

Each day it gets worse
Each day evil grows bolder

I watch it all
and I grieve

I grieve for the LGBTQI person who has lost rights
For the woman who has been minimized, or worse, assaulted, and abused
I grieve for the homeless, the hungry, the poverty stricken
I grieve for the immigrant who fears each day the arrival of ICE
(and you don’t have to be illegal to have that fear)

I grieve for the refugee who comes to our borders and is put in a camp
Whose child is taken away

I grieve the daily assault on truth
On kindness
On integrity
On compassion
On justice
On morality

Sometimes I wonder, do they know what they are doing?
These “People of the Lie” (Scott Peck)

Are these conscious intentional acts of evil, of injustice, greed, and immorality,
or have these people truly become deluded, incapable of seeing, speaking and doing truth?

Do they simply not see the damage they are doing,
or do they see, and just not care?

Are they simply so shortsighted that they cannot see
beyond the next election?

What goes through the mind of a person who participates
in a farce, in a coverup?
What goes on in the mind of a person who allows a small, retributive person
destroy the earth?
What goes on in the heart of a person who can casually watch children be caged?

I have come to the conclusion that it does not matter
I must grieve for them too

And I must grieve for those who have been led into the darkness

I know they do not understand
They have chosen to believe people of the lie
They are wrapped in lies
Fed a steady diet of false information,
and thus are consumed by hate and fear

Those who cheer brutality and retribution
and cheer their own destruction?

I grieve for them too

I do not know what to do with this grief
Any more than Jesus knew what to do with his grief
As he approached Jerusalem

All he could do is weep
Weep that they would not and could not see
(If you, even you, had only known on this day what would bring you peace—but now it is hidden from your eyes)
Weep at the horror that was to come

But he wept for everyone
Without distinction

Because that is how the heart of God works

I want to be angry
I want to hate

But instead I am called to grieve
As I believe God grieves

It is the price of love



No comments:

Post a Comment