Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, February 21, 2020

What would Jesus Tweet


I wonder how Jesus would have done
In a world with Facebook and Email
With Twitter and LinkedIn

Seriously
How would he have dealt with the intentional liars
And with the people
Blinded by those lies

Claiming to be followers
but doing anything but following
his way of compassion and generosity?

I suspect he would do better than I do
Have more patience
And compassion

But what would he do with those
Who persisted in believing lies?
Who persisted in supporting leaders who
Damage the earth
Abandon the poor
Lie
Hate
Bully

Would Jesus block them?
Keep arguing, even as they return
Again and again to their delusions?

How would he respond to the raw assault
That happens

When one is “at a distance”?
When there is no real accountability?
Just rhetoric

What would he do with the black and white]
Polarized
Win win
Transactional stances
Of people who tout him in their profiles

But deny him in every way imaginable?

Perhaps he would engage
Perhaps he would argue
Perhaps he would try to penetrate the bubble
Perhaps

Or perhaps he would never engage
In a way that did not involve
Looking in the other’s eyes
Being face to face
And accountable

I do know that he would toss a few tables
And that he would be kind
(not a paradox, just Jesus)

I know that he would look me
And everyone else in the eye
And say, “Really?”
Or perhaps something more graphic

And I suspect that I would not be able
To hold on to my delusions
That I would be pushed into the realm of Truth
And that my feet would be set on the path that is the Way
And that I would understand love and life in a new way

So as we argue on FB and twitter
As we use the cover of anonymity
To be our worst selves

It is time to think
What would Jesus do?


No comments:

Post a Comment