Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, February 24, 2020

God who is more than God


Neither I nor the poets I love have found the keys to the kingdom of prayer,
And we cannot force God to stumble over us where we sit,

But

I know that it’s a good idea to sit anyway.

So every morning, I sit, I kneel, waiting,
making friends with the habit of listening,
hoping that I am being listened to. . .

There, I greet God and my own disorder.
I say Hello
to my chaos,
my unmade decisions,
my unmade bed,
my desire and my trouble.
I say Hello
to distraction and privilege.

I greet the day, and I greet my beloved and bewildering Jesus.

I recognize and greet
my burdens,
my luck,
my controlled and uncontrollable story.

I greet
my untold stories,
my unfolding story,
my unloved body,
my own love,
my own body.

I greet
the things I think will happen,
and I say Hello to everything I do not know about the day.

I greet
my own small world,
and I hope that I can meet the bigger world that day.

I greet
my story,
and hope that I can forget my story during the day,
and hope that I can hear some stories,
and greet some surprising stories during the long day ahead.

I greet God,
and I greet the God Who is More God than the God I greet,

Hello to you all, I say,
as the sun rises above the chimneys of North Belfast.

Hello.

                                                              Pádraig Ó Tuama
_______________________________________________


Sometimes we like to think of God
as up there, out there
transcendent and aloof
separate

wandering perhaps
in the garden
in the cool of the day

and we hope against hope
that we can find a way
for God to stumble over us

we hope that for some glorious moment
God will notice us
there, squatting near the ground,
praying perhaps,
and touch us

as Jesus touched the woman
who touched the hem of his garment

so we sit
and pray
we squat in our own
inner places

populated with
the untidiness of life

that space littered with fear and failure
questions
and agendas
and desires
littered with the unknown
and the unresolved

and in that unkempt garden of
the mind
if we listen
we hear the sound of God’s voice

this is not where we expected to meet God
here in this disordered place
this is not when we wanted to meet God
not now
not surrounded by all this debris,
by our unwashed laundry,
and half finished dreams,
and broken relationships

yet here God is
immanent
and there is nothing to do
but say “hello”

and welcome God into our mess
welcome God and our mess

There is nothing to do but to “greet God,
and [] greet the God Who is More God than the God [we] greet,”

knowing that it is when we welcome all and God touches all,
that our small worlds become greater worlds,
that our paths become populated with surprising and joyful stories,
that our wounds become healed (if not cured)

So we greet God
And we sit with our “beloved and bewildering Jesus”
listening and being listened to,
there in the midst of the perplexing mess of our lives

We sit there with our transcendent and immanent God.
And we greet the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment