Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, June 1, 2020

I don't dare start thinkin'


I don’t dare start thinking in the morning.
I don’t dare start thinking in the morning.
If I thought thoughts in bed,
Them thoughts would bust my head –
So I don’t dare start thinking in the morning

I don’t dare remember in the morning
Don’t dare remember in the morning.
If I recall the day before,
I wouldn’t get up no more –
So I don’t dare remember in the morning
                               Langston Hughes (Blues at Dawn)
____________________________

and there was morning, and there was evening
and there was morning, and there was evening

on and on it goes
this life

a matter of waking
and eating
and living
and hurting
and dancing
and sleeping

and there are mornings, and there are evenings
that try our souls

mornings where the sun refuses to rise
and there seems to be
no path ahead

evenings when the sun refuses to set
and time drags on
and we drag on
carrying our burdens with us

sometimes, if we think too much
we might not get up at all
not knowing where we are going, not liking from whence we came

the road ahead obscure
the road behind twisted and foul

and yet
the sun does rise
and the sun does set
and time moves on

and we do get up
and life does go on

the rising
and eating
and living
and hurting
and dancing
and sleeping

and it is good
for every morning is Easter morning
every morning is resurrection now
every morning (and if truth be told, more often than that)
is a new beginning

we are constantly re-created
restored to our divine image

I remember the words of the old song
“in the morning, when I rise, give me Jesus”

In the morning when I rise
May we remember that life is Sacred
And we are Sacred Children
And Sacred is with us

and that even in these Covid-19 days
when the sun struggles to rise
and refuses to set

we can go with God
and be not afraid

No comments:

Post a Comment