Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, May 31, 2020

the weakness of fear


Force does not work the way its advocates seem to think it does. It does not, for example, reveal to the victim the strength of his adversary. On the contrary, it reveals the weakness, even the panic of his adversary.
                                                   James Baldwin

The so-called paradox of freedom is the argument that freedom in the sense of absence of any constraining control must lead to very great restraint, since it makes the bully free to enslave the meek.
                                                   Karl Popper

The forces of progress clash with those of reaction. The religion of blood and war is face to face with that of peace.”
                                                   Winston Churchill

Authority without wisdom is like a heavy axe without an edge, fitter to bruise than polish
                                                   Anne Bradstreet
_____________________________________________________

this morning my walking
turned to pacing

my pondering turned
into internal ranting

I am tired of the emotional terrorism
of the Nazi flags
of signs bearing the ghost of Auschwitz
Arbeit Mach Frei my ass
of the guns

this soul is wounded by those who
reflecting their own internal weakness
must carry their weapons of intimidation

this heart is driven, bleeding
down the gravel roads
which wind amidst the trees
and towering mountains

I carry all the miseries of human kind

the stark fear of those who know
their frailty cannot resist this virus

the distress of those
who watch their businesses, they dreams, crumpling

I barely know this restless pacing person
for this kind of passion is rare, and
clashes with my carefully cultivated calmness

and yet
the selfishness cuts like a sword through my ease
bringing dis-ease
I cannot simply ignore

I see the shouting faces and I want to shout back
I want those weak souls hiding behind their guns and flags
To just leave

Parts of me want to understand
But parts of me want to not just resist, but rout
Those who wear essential selfishness like armor
My angry heart threatens to overwhelm

My kinder heart

There is no resolution
no safety for the aged and ill
no meaningful resistance to this selfishness

and yet I know
this is not a time to quit

For I can still feel the trembling of the vulnerable
bullied by these who have no compassion
Or understanding
And I want to comfort them, and protect them

And I know
deep in my heart
that my feet must take me down the path
of compassion and empathy

toward acts of kindness
and generosity
to words that comfort rather than harm

I must move to overcome
the weakness of fear
even when that weakness looks like intimidation
with the strength of love
(this will not be easy)

do not overcome evil with evil
we are told
but overcome evil with good

in this time
there is indeed, no other way


No comments:

Post a Comment