Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, September 3, 2012

The Principle of Least Love

It is an interesting thing about love

There are people you 'love' because
they are beatuiful
kind
giving

Because you love spending time in their presence

But often what we love most about love is that 
we get so much out of it.
There is a person, sometimes "that" person
who loves us with all their heart
and gives to us, so much

so much indeed that it seems as if not matter how much love we
pour out toward them, we are never depleted
but are always full.

God's love is that way
always giving
always filling
always giving us that capacity to keep
putting ourselves out there for others.

It is a rare thing when we find that kind of love
here
in this world
with another person
it happens
But what is even rarer is when a love exists that keeps pulsing
keeps roaring through heart
even when we aren't getting much back
God loves that way
we people?
not so much

We play this odd game of "least love" (Thank you Tony Campolo)
because for us power is also a big thing
we may love it more than love
and we  know that who loves the most
has
from a worldly  perspective, the least power
If you say you love me, and I have not returned the favor,
well, I have power over you

If my heart belongs to you
and yours does not belong to me
well, you have control.  You can ignore me, but I can't ignore you
You can manipulate me.  It is much harder for me to manipulate you.
You can leave me, let go, walk away
I just can't

Its an odd thing about love
sometimes we love people because
and sometimes we just love
and there is nothing we can do about it

At times we have amazing love
and no power
not from a normal way of thinking about power
 
but perhaps, in some mysterious kind of way
we do

No comments:

Post a Comment