Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, February 7, 2014

Prayer 101

The result of prayer is life

prayer irrigates the
earth and
heart
                                St Francis of Assisi
_______________________________

You need to pray
they say
I am praying for you
The pronounce

and I have never known
quite how to respond

you would think they would teach you
about prayer in seminary
that there would be a
course

prayer 101

that one would develop a
theology of prayer

perhaps some do

for me prayer has always been a mystery
I have been torn between
my image of prayer
as some sort of
practice involving
thee’s and thou’s

a matter of solemn words
a time when one
literally gets on one’s
knees

and
and what?

begs?
worships?
fulfills a
filial duty

but my prayers never
irrigated the earth
and rarely
my heart

I hear people speak
and say to myself
“now that’s a prayer”

but for me the words
rattle around in my head

but

ah but there are those moments
when something happens
something which is mystical and alive
something happens

as I walk through the beauty of paradise
as I look at a new born child
or stroke the cat curled in my lap

something happens as I stroll through freshly fallen snow

something happens when I feel the pain of another
or my own pain
when something out of the depths
of my soul rises up
and

moves toward
and touches
something big
someone big
something that is love

and then it flows
love?
spirit?
hope, healing?
Joy?

Yes, yes, yes
All of that

It is often wordless
this movement
toward and from
from and toward

but it is then that I know
God is there
and I am here

it is then my heart
comes
alive

prayer

1 comment: