Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, August 30, 2014

The self in the mirror


I worry that Jesus drinks himself to sleep when he hears me talk like this. Anne Lamott.

Everyone once in a while.
Out of the corner of my eye
I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror

Yuk

I will be the first to admit I have done a lot of good stuff
I have had adventures
Seen the the world
Helped people
Published books

But I have had moments
Oh so many
Of which I am not proud
And I have some deep rooted flaws
Patterns
That cause me to be,
Well,

Let's Just say I am not Jesus

And there are moments when the person I see in the mirror
Is not one I like

I see myself as some others
Not all others,
But as some others see me

The image is both truth and lie
But it is

It is what is there and what people want to be there
For good (some want to believe in me)
Or ill, some want to see and believe the worst

But there it is - at least this morning
In the mirror
That rather ugly
Knobby self
I'd rather not see

I think I'll move to
Australia


No comments:

Post a Comment