Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, August 16, 2014

Without Subtraction

Like any true mirror, the gaze of God receives us exactly as we are, without judgment or distortion, subtraction or addition.
                                                Richard Rohr
____________________________

I stagger to the mirror
Bleary eyed
Fuzzy
And gaze at the person who looks back at me

I see my age reflected
the fact that gravity is winning

I see thickness where once I was trim
and thinness where muscles once lived

it see gray and thinning hair
and the face of one who does not
(my apologies to my doctor)
take care of himself very well

I see my weakness and failures
I see the one who talks too much
and listens too little
the one who isolates
and hides behind busy-ness

I see one who has squandered amazing gifts
and has (probably) not been even close to
what the sacred intended him to be

The Sacred sees all that too
And
And
And

a beloved son
a person who really cares (even if he doesn’t show it well)
a person with pain
and joy
a person who has made a difference in people’s lives (for the better)
a person of creativity
and joy
and hope

may I learn
to see myself
with the eyes of the sacred

without subtraction

No comments:

Post a Comment