Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, March 3, 2016

Does it improve on the silence?

“Before you speak, ask yourself, is it kind, is in necessary, is it true, does it improve on the silence?
              Sai Bab of Shirdi , quoted by Laura  Berman Fortgang in The Little Book on Meaning”, p. 164
_________________________________________________

there is so much I want to say
it needs saying, I just know it!

and yet

there is that Sacred Presence
deep within my soul

that does not believe I am nearly as clever or wise
as I think I am,
and sees all those little ways I stretch and alter the facts

there is that Sacred Wisdom
that sees the harm I can do
and understands that at times it would be better,
far better indeed, if I listened
just listened

there is that Sacred Voice
that whispers

Stephen,
just be quiet
for a moment, at least for a moment,
just live with the silence

(everyone will be better off)

then speak the truth
with compassion
to build the other up,
and
in
love

No comments:

Post a Comment