Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, February 28, 2019

Be Brave


Be brave
Little things
Still matter most

— Naomi Shihab Nye
__________________

Sometimes I want to quit
Quit the struggle
Quit the fight

I want to close down Facebook
Turn off the television
Throw my cell phone into the closest snow drift

And sit in my study with my books
who know how to be civil,
and who offer me comfort and wisdom
and pet my dog,
and cater to the cats (who must be obeyed)

Because it all seems too big
The greed and hate, all too encompassing
Racism is up
Fear is up
Hate is up
Pollution is up
Lies are endemic

and there is so little I can do

and yet

little things still matter

Sun, after days of clouds, matters
A friend painting a picture of me (thanks John), matters
Finn bounding through the snow, matters
Shu (the cat) warming my feet, matters
The smell of fresh coffee
The beauty of a winter morning

All matter

And there are little things I can do
That still matter

I say thank you
I can listen
I can visit a friend
I can refrain from a brilliant, but cruel comment
I can pray
I can be kind
I can be generous

I can do so many little things
that keep,
at least within my tiny sphere of influence,
the hate, and anger
the racism, and cynicism
from growing

I can do little things to build hope
Little things to comfort,
Little things to help people find faith,
Little things to nurture Sacred Presence within my self.

Yes the problems are huge
   but “be brave
  little things
  still matter most”

No comments:

Post a Comment