Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, February 6, 2019

the bully brain


“Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.”
Gandhi
_____________________________

Some say that our beliefs
Determine how we interpret life

Our self talk, our metal scripts, our life commandments
All become the lens through which we see life, and others

Ganhdi suggested that our thoughts
Determine our words and our actions
And ultimately our patterns…

I would not disagree
And yet
I will not agree

This is indeed the way it can be
We can listen to our thoughts
And allow our thoughts to shape us and direct us

The brain can in fact be a bully
And create all kinds of pain
And dysfunction

But I believe that we have a choice
Our choice is to set our values,
Understand our values
Verbalize our values

And then live toward them

Rather than the other way around

I would say
We pick what is important to us
Who is important to us
And then we choose to live toward those values

Values determine actions
Actions emerge from the way we talk to ourselves
From the way we think

And the fact is we can “step away from the brain”

We can realize that so much of what holds us back
Is only in our head
It is our thoughts, our patterns, our habits, that are the enemy
That keep us stuck
Or in a painful, hopeless loop

And we can choose not to let our thoughts make us sick

We can choose to notice them,
And let them go
And do what we care about
Anyway

Right now it is 7pm
The rain is falling
The temperature is dropping
The snow is coming

The week ahead is full

My bully brain says
“life sucks”
“why bother”
“you aren’t doing anything well”

“Go to Bed, NOW!”

Ok, that last thought may not be that bad an idea
But I don’t have to listen to my bully brain
I can, because I value helping others

Step away from the brain
Take a few deep breaths
And then move toward what I value

Nope, not the Super bowl
But there is a book with my name on it
There are things to learn

My values
My choice
My life



No comments:

Post a Comment