Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Part of a whole


No one ever knows what divine narrative God may be writing with the crooked lines of someone’s struggles, misdeeds, and omissions”
                                                            John O’Donohue
____________________________________________

to what degree do I believe
that God is engaged in my life
writing a divine narrative of which I am
somehow
a part?

that is a good question

I do believe that we live on Sacred ground
Moses was not unique
when his toes clutched the earth of the Sinai
and he stood in the flickering light of
divine fire

every step we take
we are in touch with what is Sacred
the earth
the sky
the mountains and rivers
the flora and fauna

that person we stumble across

all contain God
participate in God
are, in some sense Sacred

and the more aware one is of this
the more the Divine influences
each step
each action
each word
each thought

if I see God in the mountains
do I dare rip that mountain apart for coal
if God is in that river do I careless allow oil
to foul its waters?

If I see God in that child
can I pull her from her mother
and throw her into a cage?

If I sense the that man is a Child of God
can I discard him
because he happens to have an addiction?

I suspect that in some mysterious way
we do participate in some sort of divine narrative

But I suspect we participate in that narrative as a single thread
participates in an amazing handwoven carpet

We are woven into the fabric of something huge and complex

In my hubris I want God to be all about “me”
And my individual journey
I want God guiding each step
Determining my path
Setting me on my way

But the more I participate in the mystery
the more I understand that we are all so inextricably woven together
that we cannot separate our narrative from all narratives

our narrative is not more important than another’s narrative
we are not singled out for blessing
or for curse

we are part of a whole we cannot understand
we are in this together
each of us doing the best we can

moving along in torturous fashion
but all
together
creating the divine narrative

moving haltingly
toward that new heaven
and more importantly
that new earth


No comments:

Post a Comment