Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, February 10, 2019

Pay Attention


“Between the onion and the parsley, therefore, I shall give the summation of my case for paying attention. Man's real work is to look at the things of the world and to love them for what they are. That is, after all, what God does, and man was not made in God's image for nothing.
                                                                        Robert Farrar Capon
___________________________

I have never been good at paying attention
In school I was always someplace else in my head
Miles away

A cowboy
A doctor
A pilot

Out in the sage
Performing miracles
Free as a bird 

I got poor grades in math
Not because I didn’t know the solutions
And formulas
But because I didn’t pay attention
And made little math errors
That were nothing but carelessness

When I am with another person
I admit it, often my mind wanders
Sprinting off into the jungle of my mind

Even when I try to be mindful
I usually have what my yoga people call
A “monkey” mind
Chatter chatter

So perhaps it is no wonder that I miss things

Honestly?  I think I get most of it
Perhaps that is not the problem
Perhaps the problem is that is miss the most important things

I miss the beauty behind the beauty
The depth behind the façade

I miss the real

I see the sunrise, but sometimes forget to be grateful for the miracle of the sun
I see the person in front of me, but forget to be grateful for the miracle, that this one
Yes this one, right in front of me, is a child of God
Another miracle if there ever was one

I forget the see what is central
And innate

And thus I because I am not paying attention
I miss out on gratitude

Gratitude that in everything that is
There is at least a little bit of Sacred / God
Perhaps more than a little bit

OK
I guess it is time to pay attention
And be grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment