Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, August 29, 2019

I am what i believe


“Your beliefs become your thoughts
Your thoughts become your words
Your words become your actions
Your actions become your destiny.
Mahatma Ghandi,” he said. “There’s more, but I can’t remember it all.”
                                Louise Penny, A Fatal Grace
_____________________________________________________


It is true to say that our beliefs are revealed in our actions
Which means of course, that our actions reveal our beliefs

It is easy to say one believes this, or that
“I believe in Love”
“I believe in Jesus”
“I believe in life”

But words are words, and are the least trustworthy form of communication
Actions?
Well, they are concrete.  And they are what they are.
We generally can’t take them back.
And they speak a thousand words

If I want to know what another person is really all about
If I want to know what I am really all about

Then behaviors may be the key

Instead of asking”What did they say?”
One can ask, “what did they do?”

and seek to find the values and beliefs
that drove those actions

What kind of values and beliefs drive
Violence?
Abuse?
Exclusion?

What kind of values and beliefs drive
Generosity
Kindness?
Inclusion?

Where does one have to be coming from
To cage children?
To exclude another from one’s church?
To hit a spouse?
To get arrested for protesting ?
To gut climate control legislation?
To give to a cause?
To be accepting of all (in behavior not just words)?

It is not infallible
We are complex creatures
But our body or work shouts loudly

About who we are and what we believe

Here are the things
I believe I value

Justice
Equity
Grace
Generosity
God ( who is Love) and God’s way (which is Love)

I believe that we are called to protect the vulnerable
To lift each other up
To make sure we all get there (where ever “there” is) together
With no one, if possible, left behind

I hope my actions reflect this
I suspect they sometimes do
I also suspect they sometimes don’t (I am merely human)

My prayer for myself
Is that I will have values that honor my divine DNA
And that, as I connect with the Sacred within me.
I will live like a Sacred child
Each and every day






No comments:

Post a Comment