Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Toxic beliefs, toxic actions


“Your beliefs become your thoughts
Your thoughts become your words
Your words become your actions
Your actions become your destiny.
Mahatma Ghandi,” he said. “There’s more, but I can’t remember it all.” L                       Louise Penny, A Fatal Grace
______________________________________

If we want to know where we are really at
In our hearts and heads
All we need to do is work back from our actions

I sometimes say to clients
When they share that they are struggling with their emotions
Or when they share that they have done something unproductive,

What did you just say to yourself?

And then, of course the follow up question is this…

Where did that come from!?

I sometimes find myself saying “yes” when I should say “no”
When I am already exhausted
And when I have taken on way too many tasks
And am doing poorly at all of them
(because there are way too many)

I have to say to myself
Why!?
Why did I say yes?
What did I say to myself to so that I said yes

And stepping back I can observe that my bully brain
Had been murmuring in my ear that I am not enough
Not kind enough, smart enough accomplished enough

So of course, I have to “do something” to prove that I am

But where does that come from?
From the belief that one has to earn love
That people love you for what you do, not from who you are

Stupid belief
Leading to a devastating thought
To foolish actions
To exhaustion
To despair

Nice

It makes me wonder what belief system our country functions from
What belief system those in the oligarchy allow to run their lives,

About what goes on in the head of Mr Trump
What does he have to believe or not believe
What does he have to think
In order to behave the way he does

If I peck my way back, as I do with myself
I feel profoundly sad
And know, I would not want to be in that skin
In that head
In that heart

There must be so much pain

Only profound pain could cause one to become so self focused
So non-empathic
So cold, so cruel

But I wish we could figure it out
And know just the right words to say….
To ease that pain

I wish we could find a way to bring a genuine smile to that face
And some warmth to that heart

But I suspect I need to work on myself first
So that I can get past needing to prove myself
And past the efforts to earn love

To that place where, full of love
I can settle
And focus
And listen
And give love to those around me…..

So not be immersed in frantic activity

By their fruits you shall know them Jesus said
But I have noticed
That the best fruit comes from healthy trees
With roots sunk deep
Into the rich soul of the Sacred

And the belief
That one is loved
That one carries love
That one is love

From that belief comes thoughts of love
Words of love
And actions, filled with love

No comments:

Post a Comment