Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, August 18, 2019

Mostly, I am sad


God,
Keep my anger from becoming meanness.
Keep my sorrow from collapsing into self-pity.
Keep my heart soft enough to keep breaking. Keep my anger turned towards justice, not cruelty.
Remind me that all of this, every bit of it, is for love.
Keep me fiercely kind.
Amen.
                               Laura Jean Truman,  Twitter, October 2018
__________________________________________________________________

It is another day in America
A polarized America
Spin, purposefully, into chaos and hate

It is an America in which
For most of us
Anger lies just below the surface

Our anger comes from different places
It is fueled by ideology
By fear
By resentment
By injustice, real or perceived

And it is fueled in many ways
By people purposefully manipulating us
But what we see, and hear, and read

But it is there

It is also an America in which there is deep, profound sadness
We all have our own reasons for that sadness
Children in captivity
Poor people neglected
Rich people entitled
The prevalent hate
The greed, and the apathy
The bullying from on high
The abandonment of the way of Jesus, by those who claim to follow him

But embrace and support everything Jesus spoke against

I am angry (at times)
Mostly, I am sad

And so I pray
That the God in me will stir
Or perhaps, that I will awake to that presence

And be so permeated by love
That even though
There is anger and sadness

I can allow my self
To remain open, and empathic

And walk through each day
Building up, and not tearing down

So that I may approach each person I meet
With fierce kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment