Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, April 29, 2020

be kind


“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.”
                                                    Plato
_______________________________________________

I managed to do it, somehow
In fighting for kindness, I became unkind

and in the end
nothing good happened
I acted like a jerk
and relationships were broken

and we need our relationships
we need each other
these are going to be difficult times

but this all brought home to me
how often intensity, and passion
even when that intensity and passion needed
and even when the cause is good

can cause us to stop being kind to one another
and sometimes
even cruel

I think of the pro-life movement
I get wanting to save babies
But I don’t get throwing living children
And the environment
Under the bus in the process

I think of my passion for taking care of the vulnerable
And about how
at times
perhaps often
I am unkind to others when talking about that issues

About the times my desire for kindness and generosity
Make me unkind and ungenerous

I keep thinking of the quote attribute to Henry James:

“Three things in human life are important:
the first is to be kind;
the second is to be kind;
and the third is to be kind”

for while it is important stand up for what is right
and it is necessary, at times, to enter into those
tough conversation

and while there may be room for debate,
challenge
even confrontation

there is also a need
a deep seated, profound need
for kindness

for when we are not kind
even though we may have the best of intentions
damage is done
the fabric of community is torn
relationships are destroyed

and sometimes
in the name of good
we become cruel

today I resolve
to be kind
to listen well
to answer softly
to seek understanding
and to act gently and with grace

there is enough cruelty in this world
we need a little kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment