Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, April 18, 2020

In it together


“No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. If a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were: any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee.”
                                                               John Donne
_________________________________

Whenever there is chaos
Whenever there is crisis
We learn something about ourselves

Right now the Covid-19 is our great teacher

First it was “not a problem”
Then it was “their problem’
And now it is “our problem”

And so as the stock market crashes

As trips we dreamed of
And events we treasured
Are cancelled or postponed

As governments announce bans
And implement responses
However ineffective

We are challenged not only
by a virus
but by our own nature

there is not doubt about it
this pandemic
for that is what it is

has (and will) caused a lot of grief

It has caused disappointment too
and anger

it has brought out the best in us
and it has brought out the worst

we are seeing it all
from people hording toilet paper
to people railing because a music concert has been cancelled
to people quietly doing what is right

some people are responding with fear and resentment
and some are responding with grace, and compassion
and what can only be called community ethics

let us make no mistake about this
this crisis
while personal
is not merely personal

it is not “all about me”

yes, I had to cancel a trip to visit cherished
but vulnerable cousins

Yes, a meeting I was looking forward to
is not happening

Yes, I may end up cancelling
(at some level)
Lent

But beyond my personal frustration and pain
There is a greater pain

The pain of people without insurance
The pain of people who will no longer have a job
The pain of people who, living pay check to pay check won’t have a pay check

The pain of older people
Forced to “socially distance”

All of this is about
The community that is my church
The community that is my small rural county
The community that is my friends and neighbors
The community that is my nation
The community that is the world

Can I feel the pain of my community
And
Can I set aside my individual wants and needs
For the sake of my community?

Can I mourn the loss of March Madness
And Spring Training
And my visits
And the value of my 401Ks
And possibly the loss of a traditional lent and Easter

But feel a deeper pain for the loss of livelihood
suffered by the minimum wage works on the edges
of pro sports
and the hospitality industry
and the entertainment and travel industry

Can I think of those older people
Who may not get that cherished visit from their family
Or pastor?

And can I embrace the small things I can do
To keep my family safe
My church members safe
My friends safe
My community

If not safe
A little safer?

Remembering
This is not “all about me”
Or my investments

It is about people
Vulnerable
Valuable
Loved
people


No comments:

Post a Comment