Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Gentle at the end


‘Tis the gift to be gentle
With your self at the end
of a day when you’ve given
of a day when you’re spent.
To re-create, to breathe
and to rest
and to treat your own self
as your own
welcome guest
                     Padraig O’Tuama  (readings from the book of exile, p.29)
________________________________

sometimes I sit
at the end of the day

anxious soul that I am
judging
and without compassion
for my own soul

and let the jury in my head
debate about my worth

with endless patience I replay
that visit with the dear old saint
tired at age 93
who seeks repose
and thinks I’m wonderful
“such a good boy”

But am I?
Did I really listen?
Did I say what she needed to hear?

I think about that client
Anxious and depressed
Fearful
who shared such deep things
and I wonder

did I help?
Was I focused enough,
Was I able to help that person find calm
And hope?

I rate my sermon
Which although written reasonably well
I did not have time to practice

Did I feel as if I were just reading it?
Did I make eye contact?
Did I help anyone?
Anyone? Anyone?

And so at times I suffer
Suffering being that profound gap
Between what I want and what I have
Between who I want to be, and who I am

Sometimes I sit
and as I sit I breathe
and I wonder
how Jesus felt at the end of a day
at the end of the journey
at the end of his life

as he hung there between thieves
the world stretching beneath him
seemingly the same as it was
when he was born

no Kingdom of Heaven there

and then I remember
that even on the cross
even in that moment of magnificent defeat

that Jesus noticed the thief at his side
and the woman at his feet
and comforted
he was not replaying his life
his ministry
his moment of anger in the temple
his words to Pilate

he was just there in that moment
being who he was
Son of God
Child of God

I believe
That Jesus could not have noticed and comforted
If he did not feel noticed and comforted

Knowing that in the end
He was not forsaken
But loved, and valued

And so I sit
And breathe
And remember that I too
Am a child of God

And I wish myself well
I practice self compassion

I breathe in and breathe out
Knowing that
As I go inside to that place that defines me
To that place where Sacred dwells

I will find Sacred
And I will find myself
And I will find love
And I will find acceptance

Unconditional

And in the context of Sacred, unfailing love
My body will be healed
My mind will be healed
My heart will be healed
My soul will be healed

And I will find peace
At the end

No comments:

Post a Comment