Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, April 14, 2020

The heart has reasons


“The heart has its reasons which reason knows not.”
                                         Blaise Pascal

“Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.”
                                         Mahatma Gandhi (attributed to)
_____________________________________

What is on my heart today?

Not my brain
which chatters without ceasing
like a demented monkey

but my heart

if I stay in my head I will be overcome
with thoughts about the stock market
and my shrinking retirement accounts

if I stay in my head I will spend my day
analyzing polls
trying to figure out which wrinkled old white guy
is going to sit
in the seat of power

In my head are thoughts about tasks mundane
trips to the store
bills to be paid
emails to be send

but what do I find
if I still my mind
breath in
breath out

breath in
breath out

ah

they are much different
these things that tug at my heart

they have faces

I see my old friend
now in a care center
fearful that her friends will not be allowed to visit (Covid-19)

I see an anxious father
hoping that his daughter’s transplanted kidney
continues to work well

I see a LGBTQI friend
whose face carries her fears
about lost protections
and increased hostility

I see the single mother
scrambling to make ends meet
as yet another support program is cut

I see the tired, resigned face of the immigrant
The empty eyes of a young black person
The twisted face of one governed by hate and prejudice

I also see my children
And my grandchildren
And friends I care deeply about

And I am glad, sometimes
And sad
Joyful, and concerned

At the heart level
There are only people

That is what I carry there
Those I love
Those for whom the Sacred has given me
Empathy, and compassion

So much of what I worry about this day
Does not
In the end
Count for much (in the final equation)

But those things that are on my heart
Those people
Those precious souls

They are what matters
They are what count

And so
I pray

No comments:

Post a Comment