Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, April 30, 2020

transmitting pain, or transmuting pain


“Relationships must be fostered as far as possible and maintained, and thus a morbid transference can be avoided.”
                                                               Carl Jung, Cornwall Seminar, Pages 1-5.

All of us experience the absurd, the tragic, the nonsensical, the unjust… if we cannot find some way to transmute our wounds into sacred wounds, we invariably become cynical, negative or bitter… if we do not transform this pain we will most assuredly transmit it, usually to those closest to us…
                                                              Richard Rohr
____________________________________

We are so focused on the transmission
of a virus

it has a name, Covid-19
we have some idea of what it can do
this enemy
that passes from person to person
state to state
nation to nation

we see the damage
we feel the damage

and yet there is a lot more floating around out there
than a virus

I had an exchange the other day
I will simply say, it did not go well
It ended with fragmentation,
and perhaps, the termination of some friendships

I was not the hero in this exchange
nor was the villain
neither were the others

there was just so much in the air
anger perhaps
or fear

and it struck me
afterward, just how much we carry, unawares
and how must we transmit, unawares
and the degree to which we project, unawares

chastened by that exchange I have found myself
focusing on awareness

and I have started to ask myself some critical questions
at least they seem important to me

Where did this come from?
This feeling, this thought?
Did it come from some place healthy, and valid
Or did it come from some place inside me where demons
Lurk and whisper?

Do I really need to say anything at all?
Really!
Is what I am about to say, or write,
Is this comment something that will actually help?
Will it actually contribute?

If need to say something,
how can I say it in a way that is not “loaded”?
Even if what I am saying is valid, and appropriate,
have I attached other things to that statement?
Anger, fear, ego?

If I were to hear or read my comment,
how would I take it?
What we be my “take home”?

What is happening is that I am learning a lot
I am talking/writing less
And I have having to make a lot of amends

What I hope, is that with all these “bugs” flying around
The one I catch, and the one I transmit
Is kindness



No comments:

Post a Comment