Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, April 3, 2020

God as Cat


I thought that God might be willing to listen
to reason, so I worked up a proposal that
outlined some of my many concerns.

My primary objective in that twenty page
thesis of sheer elegance, that I was hoping
might impress God, could be distilled into
this one, a bit long-winded hoot:

that you – God-would never be any less
furry, and always as accessible and loving
as my cat; and like her, sleep with your
head on my

shoulder.  And, of course, don’t forget the
purrrrrrrr!
                                         Hafiz
_______________________________________________

we have all suffered from the cleverness
of such sayings as

Dog is God spelled backwards
or is that
God is Dog spelled backwards

and there is something appealing about the image
of God as dog

for that is often how want God
loving and faithful
willing to sit at our feet and cover  us with affection
head lolling
tongue ready to lick and lap

obedient and protective

but I suspect that God is truly much more like a cat
loving yes
but...

the reality is
that no one “owns” a cat

cats are independent
capricious
unpredictable
or rather predictable in their unpredictability

sometimes they disappear
sometimes they merely leave hints of their presence

a book, mysteriously transported from the book case
to the floor

a pill bottle that once was on the counter
now in the middle of the rug

sometime cats are downright disruptive
creating chaos in our well ordered universe

we chase after cats
and they scatter
we call cats
and they come, sometimes

but sometimes they don’t
preferring to hide
somewhere
Cat only knows

I have no doubt that my cats love me
but they are not domesticated
and definitely, in their own way
like the Lion of Narnia
not tame

most of the time
I really wish God were truly
more like a dog than a cat
there are my beck and call
ready to serve me
always Who and What I expect

but God cannot, and should not be domesticated
and just as we know what happens
when we shut a cat into a small space
or forget to let the cat out

so too
our attempts to make God
a Reality we own
a Power we manipulate
will not work

but still
cats know when we are sad
they know when we are hurting, and lonely
and they find their way to us
in those moments when we need them the most

and they sit on our laps
and clean our hair
and prrrrrrrrrrrr

which is why we love them

and so too
God

No comments:

Post a Comment