Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, June 30, 2013

Who the Hell Am I?

(With thanks to Carl Jung)
A cork atop the ocean
 
sometimes that is what I know
about myself
about life
about God
I like to think I am a rational being
And that I have insight
(as if this conscious self
is who I am)
And yet
all I actually know about myself
may only be a cork atop the ocean
beneath my conscious point of view
so much more
depths unimaginable
made unseen
by my chaotic mind which stirs the depths
and by the very vastness of all that is

It is funny how things work
how we say and do things
with one intention
but which produce oddly different outcomes
than we intended
We like to think it is all about them...
but perhaps it is the ocean
those things that lurk in the unconscious
like strange creatures of the deep
 
that surface
like the Loch Ness monster
fleeting
half formed
that simply come to the surface and show themselves
telling us, and those we meet
that there is more going on
than even we know

what is in there
in those depths?

What would I learn if I could
only plumb those depths and understand
the deep currents that drive my life?

Perhaps it is time
perhaps it is always time
to dive deep
into the ocean
into that unknown
scary
but also creative source

that is me
_____________________________________________
 
Ps 139:23-24:  Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting. 
 
(Funny how much wisdom is in the Bible isn't it?)

No comments:

Post a Comment