Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, September 25, 2013

When anger comes

Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back -- in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you.  Frederick Buechner

_____________________________________________

O Lord
some days I am amazed
I read of angry men
and angry women
who amaze me with their words
their acts

and yet
who in the end
harm themselves as much as others

I think of people I know
angry and entrenched in their bitterness
holding on to events long past
immersed in the pain of
enmity

I think of countries who act much the same
Countries who for thousands of years
Have held fast
To old grudges
And would rather shoot than talk

I see people
I see countries
Destroying those around them
And
Destroying themselves

I think
How foolish!

And yet Lord
I know there are within me
Ravenous wolves of anger
That prowl
And growl
And feast on my soul

Lord
Remind me that sometimes
the skeleton at the feast is me

and help me to forgive

____________________________________________

Forgive us our debts (sins) as we forgive our debtors (those who have sinned against us)

No comments:

Post a Comment