Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, September 13, 2014

Colo-Rectal Theology Redux

“To be engrossed by something outside ourselves is a powerful antidote for the rational mind, the mind that so frequently has its head up its own ass - seeing things in such a narrow and darkly narcissistic way that it presents a colo-rectal theology, offering hope to no one.”
― Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life
_________________________________

I wandered down the road
this lovely September morning
feeling the sun slowly warming the well chilled air
smelling new mown hair
and end of summer dust

watching the deer eat piles of grass clippings at the place
where yard debris go to die

and my mind was consumed with
the fact that gravel always ends up in my shoe
and my irritation with the young punk (my description)
who regularly roads down the road in his jacked up pickup
pedal to the metal (it is still metal isn’t it?) diesel roaring
as if the speed and noise somehow enhances………..

see?
Its silly isn’t it

around me is beauty
around me the day is wakening

around me the world is unraveling
children are being killed

and I’m thinking about gravel
and brash young men
and the fact that Tim Tebow is now going to offer sage opinions on morning TV
(which I don’t even watch)

I am suffering from cranial-anal inversion
And probably (I love this term)
from colo-rectal theology

and there it is, I fear
much of what is wrong with the world
the church
the country
and, ah yes, me

this is what causes us to let fear rule
and keeps us from compassion

this is why people vote for leaders who cater to the 1%
and pass laws that actually hurt them and their children

I make everything about me

it is all about the small piece of gravel in the shoe
it is all about what I think I need and want for me
about what I think might hurt me

even my faith is all about me
and what I want my valet/servant God to do for me

deliver us O Lord
from seeing the world in “a narrow and darkly narcissistic way”

help us to see
the beauty
help us to see the needs of others
help us to see the world

with your amazing
attentive
compassionate eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment