Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, May 28, 2016

On the Other Side of the Cloud

the bud in half bloom
outwaits the cloud
                         Mark Nepo

___________________________________________________________

some days
there is a cloud around my heart
a deep ache
a dullness

I think of children dead
of lives shattered
by acts of hate

by people damaged by 
ideologies that nurture
distain
and anger

I see the pictures on the news
read the comments on articles
listen to
the fear soaked
rants of people who trust only in guns

I think of those who have fed that fear
those who lie
or manipulate facts
to perpetuate a culture
where bright young lives are cut short
and women are oppressed
and young girls are molested and victimized
and people
in despair die

and the cloud descends

and yet, if I give into that heaviness
if I let the cloud
make me believe that I there is no light
no love
no hope

then I become
like those fearful, hateful, power hungry ones
who seem
at times
to have won the day

on the other side of the cloud
the sun shines fiercely
on the other side of hate is love
on the other side of fear, compassion

on the other side of death is life

"no cloud lasts forever
the earth knows this well, and all that grows from it
so does the heart
and everything that grows from it" (Nepo)

No comments:

Post a Comment