Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, October 11, 2012

Can I Love?

In the part of this universe that we know there is great injustice
and often the good suffer
and often the wicked prosper,
and one hardly know which of this is the more annoying! (Bertrand Russell)


There is indeed suffering in the world
on this point Jesus and the Buddha agree
sick bodies
sick minds
sick souls
 
and there we are 
in the midst of it all
with our unique sickness
 
and yet, if everyone is sick
every one too is called to be a healer
we are all in need of healing
we are all
called to be healers
 
ah but there is a catch
healing is an act of "otherness"  
 
when we heal we live for others
with others
we must be outside ourselves......
 
sometimes I feel as if I am condemned 
to solitary confinement within the prison of my own ego (Sam Keen)
 
I look kind
I try to be kind
but my ego is a fortress
full of self
at times full of arrogance
and importance

but mostly just full of self
what will I gain?
what is in it for me?
who is for me?
who is against me?
 
there is ego war everywhere
 
sometimes I wonder
if I can ever escape
 
and just when I am ready to give up
the wind of God's Spirit
of love
blows through the window of my wintery fortress (thanks again to Sam Keen)
 
and I see
the pain in the face of a friend
the fear of that person lying in the hospital bed
the rank loneliness of the man whose wife has left him
 
and for the moment
if only for a moment 
my trapped ego is free
 
to reach out 
in love
and compassion

to be for 
and with
and heal
 

No comments:

Post a Comment