Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Monday, October 22, 2012

I Just Could be Wrong!

My mom used to say it all the time
 it was one of those sayings
that to her was second nature....

right after her standard commandment
as I would leave the house
"remember who you are"
something I often tried hard to forget
it is kind of a burden to be the doctor's son in a small town
with a mom who had her expectations
about how I would act
and dress
and even whom I might date :)


I heard it so often
I began to wonder
whether she needed glasses or something

"I can't believe my eyes"


Really?
Why not!?
Seems like what we see
is simply what is there.... 
or is it?


I have come to learn, 
in my old age, that it really isn't that simple
for we do in fact wear glasses
all of us
all the time
24/7
big thick glass
that change things
that twist and distort
until what we see....
well we need to take care
about what we think is true, clear


Those lenses
our gender
our age
our life experiences
our values and beliefs
our education
our social class
our families of origin
our place of origin...


all those things are the lenses through which we see life
until what we see
is a reality we create
and what we don't see
ah, there becomes so much we don't see.


we can't in fact believe what we see


oh did I mention politics?
 sometimes I wonder if my friends and are are listening to
the same candidates :)


I have to constantly remember
as I judge the "sight" of my friends with whom
I don't agree
that my "sight" is just as compromised


So I am trying hard to say what I believe
but not cut down
or overly entrench
or treat other's perceptions with disrepsect


for
I
just
could
be wrong

No comments:

Post a Comment