Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Be Happy, O, and let other's be happy too!

I hear O Lord
about the birth of a child
a prince among men to be exact

People were excited
a country was excited
and happy
happy for the young royal couple, indeed,
but just happy

here was something to rejoice

and so of course Lord
the comments began to be posted
on FaceBook
in Blogs

about how stupid it was to be so happy
about how all this focus on a child was ridiculous
 
and I thought to myself
O God
Why?
 
Why is it so hard just to be happy?
and let others just be happy
full of joy
 
why can't we just let people do their
"happy dance"
why do we have to sit on the sidelines
and judge
and ridicule
 
what is it about us Lord
that we behave this way?
 
I do it too O Lord
if it is not my happiness
if it is not about me, or is not a joy I can understand
I become this 
dour sophisticate, stand on the side of the dance floor
watching others
dance
with
glee
 
Ah, there is is Lord
I really don't dance very well
I want to
I want to just let go
kick off my shoes
wave my arms
do a little jig
I want to be able to make a fool of myself
with abandon
 
out of sheer joy
 
but that is hard for me
Mennonite, Presbyterian, Kliewer
one who must always
be
strong and in control
 
I am jealous Lord
of other's happiness
 
sigh
 
This day O lord
let me embrace my own joy
and let me embrace the joy of others
and then
perhaps
 
I can dance

No comments:

Post a Comment