Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Thursday, July 11, 2013

Practical Atheism

O Lord
I feel almost foolish
offering you this prayer

I realized
this morning
as I thought about this day
this week
this life
 
that I live most of my life
as a "behavioral atheist"*
 
I live most 
of most
days
as if
you are really not a part of them
 
Oh I think of you
I might throw you a prayer
but for the most part
 
as I go through my hours
my days
my weeks
my years
I live as if you are nothing more
than a character in a rather long and sometimes
boring
book
 
I do not think about you
as present
active
having a true part in my life
 
I do not live as if you are in charge
 
my faith is like fast food
it is there
but not nourishing
it doesn't go deep
 
I have junk faith*
 
and so I live in fear
and angst
because frankly Lord
if you are not present and active
I am in deep trouble
 
Lord
this day
help me go deep
help me get in touch with your presence with You
be real
be active
calm, encourage, guide
 
because frankly, Practical Atheism
really
really
sucks
 
__________________________________________
 
*  terms taken from Richard Rohr
 
Junk religion is usually characterized by fear of the present and fear of the future.  What you hear when people have really met God is that three is not fear of the present because it is always full, there's no fear of the future because God's in charge, there is not fear of the past because it has been healed and forgiven.   Richard Rohr

No comments:

Post a Comment