Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Friday, July 19, 2013

Where O Where is God?

Donald Miller begins his book "Blue Like Jazz" with these words:
"I once listened to and Indian on television say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him and have Him brush your face in a breeze.

I am early in my story, but I believe it will stretch out into eternity, and in heaven I will reflect upon these early days, these days when it seemed that God was down a dirt road walking toward me.  Years ago he was a swinging speck in the distance; He is close enough now I can hear His singing.  Soon I will see the lines on his face."

_________________________________________

O God
a wise man once said
that if you are not in everything
you are in nothing at all

this day
as I sit in the vague light of early dawn
as I see the sun burning orange atop the horizon
and listen to the final hoots
of the night owl

as I watch the earth once again gain color

this day as I remember
my dear friend Sharon, facing cancer
and her loving husband 
as I think of my sister
who faces her future without her Dan


as I think of the people I will meet this day
 as I struggle 
to find something
anything to say this Sunday
that is authentic 
and helpful

I realize that
the only way to walk through life
is to realize that all is sacred

is to understand that you are the breeze against my cheek
you are the birthing sun
you are the mountain
the rivers
the owl

you are in each person who struggles
in each person who sings
and dances
you are in each person I meet
and you 
are 
in 
me

you are not distant and vague
a speck down the road
but you are present
close

Ah, so close

you are present
in even the wrinkles
on 
this 
face
AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment