Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Saturday, November 30, 2013

Words about words, FAITH

Throw away all your begging bowls at God’s door,
for I have heard the Beloved prefers sweet, threatening shouts,
something on the order of,

“Hey Beloved, my soul is a raging volcano of love for you!
You better start kissing me – or else!
                                                Hafiz  (Trans. Daniel Ladinsky)

Faith means trust in God, the one who represents love, understanding
Dignity and truth.
                                                                Thich Nhat, Hanh (Living Buddha, Living Christ, p.12)

_______________________________________

Lord
how often do I come to you
begging bowl in hand
focused on all my emptiness
all my need
and fear

tentatively holding out
this emptiness
not quite trusting that
my begging cup will ever be filled

Lord
how often do I come to you
looking furtively back across my shoulder
wondering
who or what is lurking there to rob me of my happiness?

how often do I come
prepared to push people away
filled with the anger and fear of unfaith?

Lord
faith means trusting
trusting that you are big enough
trusting that you are love enough

faith means grabbing hold of your hands
and with abandon
dancing a little jig

even in the mud

No comments:

Post a Comment