Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A prayer for those I want to hate

O God
I hear them spout meaningless words
about patriotism
and justice
and right
and might

I see their faces
arrogant
smirking
like a bunch of teenage punks
bullying their way down the halls

I watch them tramp
as if blind
(and perhaps in the way of love and compassion they are blind)

I watch them tramp tramp tramp
through the poor
the ill
the needy
the vulnerable

leaving behind bloody footprints
mutilated lives
and smashed hopes

as in their power suits
and with their lust for power
they hurry forth to do their masters’ bidding
as on their cell phones they chat with wealth and power

I see their faces Lord
and I so want to hate them
(well, I do -  but I feel guilty about it)
And I so want you to hate them

but I know you are not like that
you are the God of David, who was no saint
and Solomon who was worse
you are the god who called Zaccheus, a man once much like them
down from that tree
and looked gently on the woman caught in adultery

Lord I am confused
Angry

I do not want to forgive them
I do not want you to forgive them
A side of me screams
They know exactly what they are doing!!!

And yet I hear your words
Spoken from the cross

Forgive them for they know not what they do
Perhaps lord they really believe they march according to your orders
Are walking in your way

Perhaps

Our faith can often make us blind, as it did the Pharisees
And all those in the past who judged, and wounded, and even killed in your name

So yes,
Forgive  them Lord
Whether they know what they do, or not

And forgive me too

AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment