Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Wednesday, January 29, 2014

On smiling

 
O Wondrous Creatures
by what strange miracle do you
so often not
smile?
                                Hafiz
_________________________________________________

In the darkness of early morning
I watch the healthy exuberance of cat the younger
who prowls
eagerly
looking for mischief

and I watch the halting steps
of cat the older
nearing death
weak
and wanting to be
himself
but just not able

I think of the day ahead
of challenges and opportunities
of the day past
of good moments
and bad

and I have a choice
I always have a choice

on what path will I place my feet
what seeds will I nurture
who, will I invite
into the living room of my soul?

Since I have a choice
I think I will

try

for being me there is no guarantee

to smile

over the miracle of life
the miracle of 19 years
with my old friend the cat
over the small gifts of beauty and compassion
that will come my way

truly
what an oddity it would be
if I did not

No comments:

Post a Comment