Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, June 8, 2014

Water in the desert

Water in the desert

Their bodies slump in the chair
Every inch protesting at life
Tired
Beaten down
By events that rip and tear
By abuse and fear
Hatred and greed

Their minds echo the sad refrain
I am nothing
Nothing
I am not enough
I deserve what I am getting
God hates me

They have been told this too many times
By fists that have battered
Words that have scorned
You are stupid
You can’t do it
You are a whore
A loser

And even those who talk gospel
Have had no gospel
Only more demands
More calls to sacrifice, to become less
How can you become less when you are nothing?

And yet
Deep down
A spark of the divine still glows
That true self
That created to be Self
Still lives

The Sacred Presence is in
Even these so battered
So shaped 
by the sin and misery of this world
And even the smallest fragment of the divine presence
 is enough
Be it as small as a mustard seed

And with that presence the true self
which has died
Can be birthed again

A voice speaks
In that dark, almost empty space
You are a child of God, believe it!
You are God’s daughter
You are God’s son
You, that you I imaged from the beginning of all creation
That true you
Cannot be erased

You are loved
the  Holy One wants to do a new thing
In your life
Yes
Yours

Water in the desert
See it
Believe it!

____________________________________

Isa 43:1-3, 19
1 But now, this is what the Lord says —
he who created you, O Jacob,he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;I have summoned you by name; you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters,I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.
3 For I am the Lord, your God,the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
19 See, I am doing a new thing!
Now it springs up; do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the desert and streams in the wasteland.
1 John 3:1 How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment