Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, June 22, 2014

When God First Thought of You


“Stop acting so small. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.”
― Rumi
__________________________________________________

Have you ever wondered
what the Sacred One imagined
when He thought of you?

Have you ever wonder what
She had in mind
when you were birthed into this universe?

I am not talking about how tall you are
or what shape
I am not interested in whether you have
Uncle Dave’s nose
or Aunt Christine’s eyes

I know that I am “fearfully and wonderfully made”
with my father’s face
the body of my mother’s brothers (mostly)
I know that I am missing a permanent tooth
Just like my mom (and my sisters)

I know I walk with that little bend in the shoulders
just like my dad and Uncle Dave
and that my love of reading comes from my mother
not my father
(I read more books in a month than my dad read his whole life – if you don’t count medical journals)

but what did the Sacred One have in mind
why am I here?
why here and why now?
why this combination of skills
and weaknesses?

what tasks were on my Sacred “to-do” list
what was I supposed to do?
Whose life was I supposed to touch?

In short why am I here?

and am I, since I have blown so many chances
and opportunities, anywhere close to what
was originally intended?

I suspect I am not
as a person with some talent
but great energy, passion, and
yes
impulsivity
I suspect I have frustrated many a plan

You’ve heard of plan B?
Try plan Z
maybe even plan Z3

I see friends from college
who were no brighter, no more gifted
no more lovers of the sacred than I
as the Presidents of great seminaries
as Ambassadors

and I wonder

and then I remember
there is only one plan

to be present
to love the person
right in front of you

to meet the need
right in front of you

then I remember
that is my calling
that is our  calling
that is
enough

in each moment
each encounter
each conversation

the universe
the Sacred One

reaches out to a hurting world
through me
(and you)

No comments:

Post a Comment