Welcome

Primitive religion is not believed, it is danced!

Arthur Darby Nock

Earth's crammed with heaven,
And every common bush afire with God;
And only he who sees takes off his shoes;
The rest sit round it and pluck blackberries.

Elizabeth Browning



Sunday, October 19, 2014

Enshrining the Status Quo

“The inertia of a lifetime is not undone in a day.”
― Roger Walsh, Essential Spirituality: The 7 Central Practices to Awaken Heart and Mind

_____________________________

I am afraid
and so I will resist change

I am sated
and so I will protect what I have

I have power
and so I will exercise it

so often we take a stand
for morality
for a way of life
for a concept
even for God

and what we are really doing
is enshrining the status quo

we see it in our faith
and all too often in our morality
and above all in our religious fervor

the Sacred is always calling us to let go
to move forward
he moved Abram to move into the unknown
to a place “that would be shown”

he moved the disciples to follow Jesus
into an uncertain future

he told Peter, do not call unclean what I have called clean

over and over and over and over again
God has called his people to let go
and to move on

and yet
we are stolid people
inert
the frozen chosen

maybe we should take
the Sacred’s
advice

No comments:

Post a Comment